Friday, February 9, 2007

Day 2: So far, so so...

I am currently being reminded of some painful truths in my own life:
  1. I eat a lot. Big meals, continuous snacking, etc. My body doesn't like not eating. It is a horrible habit and a spiritual as well as a physical issue.
  2. I control my sleep habits in unnatural ways: I sleep very little and stay alive and awake through the help of coffee, tea, Pepsi, and candy bars. On the first day I tried to go with just as little sleep as possible, but with no sugar/caffeine in my system, along with less calories in general, I was a zombie all day with a bad headache.
  3. Even though I am intentional about living a simple life, I still spend a lot of money. I went to the library today to get a couple of books and CD's and wondered why I don't do that more often. The answer, unfortunately, is that I just buy them rather than borrow them for free from the library. Why? Because I'm a typical American who is defined by the things he owns. Ouch.

So here I am today, hungry and tired. But also thinking in ways I don't usually think in. No, not a paradigm shift, but maybe a paradigm tremor. Hey, it's a start.

The hardest thing for me to think about today are those guiding texts I put in. I don't think I've ever apprectiated what it means to make the Jubilee part of my calling as a Christian. This is big. This is challenging! It is a call to let go; a call to sell it all, give the money to the poor, and follow a homeless man! It's something that modern evangelicalism is only just now beginning to think about, but that isn't an excuse for any of us! What if we actually started taking this sort of thing seriously and at least started having conversations where we not only ask tough questions of ourselves, our text, and our brothers and sisters, but let those conversations change and mold us into God's holy people? We've been screwing it up for 2,000 years (as a whole, but luckily there have always been remnants to show us the way), but every day is a new day with infinite possibilities (unless you're a Calvinist, and then, well, no comment)!

Peace,

Matt

No comments: