Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Day 6: Finding Purpose

At first I didn't know exactly why I was doing this. I knew it would challenge me and give me a (very small) glimpse into what it is like to not have enough money. But I definitely did not have a list of goals or anything else like that, and maybe that's a good thing. Because already this has been very eye-opening for me.

*I have had some very meaningful conversations that would not have occurred otherwise. When somebody says "What have you been up to?" I have to reply with, "Living on $2 a day and dreaming of a burger and a beer." Needless to say, I've had a multitude of conversations about poverty, fasting, wealth, scripture, etc. And it's amazing to see how many people are struggling with this! I thought people were just ignoring scripture, but it seems like most of us are in the same boat and asking the same question: "How does an American who claims to follow Jesus handle his/her money?" Unfortunately, most of us seem to be asking and not doing, but I guess it's a start.

*It's a little corny, but I truthfully feel more thankful for my daily bread than I ever have.

*I've lost 6 pounds.

*There are many more things having to do with food that I take for granted without even realizing it. Finding the best value. Shopping at lower end stores. Nutritional value versus how filling something is. Fruits and vegetables. Coffee. And the amount of energy more calories provide for daily living.

*I am a massive hypocrite. I stand for a lot of things in theory, but not in action. That's the toughest thing I've learned so far. And I learned it when I drove by a homeless man I used to know and realized he probably doesn't even know me anymore because I've been "too busy doing ministry." How's that for irony?

So overall, this has been an eye-opening six days. I have cheated in multiple ways, which is quite pathetic, and I almost gave up on the second day, but I'm sticking with it and looking forward to midnight on Saturday, at which point I will probably eat an entire carton of ice cream.

Peace,
Matt

No comments: